Clinical research is, and has always been, at the very heart of the NHS. Only by carrying out research into “what works” can we continually improve treatment for patients, and understand how to focus NHS resources where they will be most effective. The East Midlands is home to some world-leading research centres – last year over 43,000 people took part in a clinical trial in the region.
The NIHR Clinical Research Network East Midlands is part of the National Institute for Health Research. Our mission is to improve the health and wealth of the East Midlands population through participation in high quality research. This is achieved by working with the life sciences industry, funders and academics, healthcare professionals, patients and the public to provide an infrastructure for clinical research to take place within the NHS.
The NIHR Clinical Research Network East Midlands is hosted by University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust. The host is responsible for ensuring the effective delivery of research in the Trusts, primary care organisations and other qualified NHS providers throughout the East Midlands. This involves working in partnership with 16 Trusts, 19 Clinical Commissioning Groups and other providers of NHS services who are delivering Portfolio clinical research studies in the region.
We are passionate about the contribution that clinical research can make to patient care and work collaboratively to translate that passion into the effective delivery of studies throughout the East Midlands by:
• helping researchers to set up clinical studies quickly and effectively
• matching patients with potential studies and delivering those studies to time and target within the NHS
• holding intelligence about patient populations and care pathways
• supporting the Government’s Strategy for UK Life Sciences by improving the environment for commercial contract clinical research in the NHS
• providing health professionals with clinical research training
• working with patients to ensure their needs are at the very centre of all we do.
Find out find out how the Clinical Research Network East Midlands could support your research.
T: 0116 258 6185
NIHR Clinical Research Network (2014) Censuswide survey